Monday, October 22, 2012

It's only rock And roll

Veteran rock star Wang Feng is happy to report that he's gone commercial, but insists he's keeping it real. Chen Nan reports.

Rock singer Wang Feng runs his hands through his dark, fluffy hair and adjusts his black-framed glasses in a coffee shop near the East Fourth Ring Road of Beijing.

He stands up and shakes my hand before asking: "Are you prepared?"

"I really can't tolerate unprofessional questions. I know it's rude to say so, but it's a kind of respect for both of us," he adds, in a gravelly voice.

The 40-year-old is wearing casual clothes rather than the leather jacket and tight jeans he typically wears onstage.

One of China's most influential rockers, he gets on a roll when talking about his national tour and the new album, which will be released in December.

The first stop at Ordos, the Inner Mongolia autonomous region, on Nov 5, drew more than 10,000 fans despite the snow. Tickets sold out a month before the concert. Other stops include Sichuan's provincial capital Chengdu, Guangdong province's Shenzhen, Beijing and Shanghai.

"After all these years in the business, I still go crazy when I sing in front of audiences who pour out their hearts and sing along with me," he says, lighting up a cigarette. "I like my singing drowned out by cheers."

No comments:

Post a Comment