Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chinese and Western backgrounds

"One thing I was really aware of growing up as a Chinese-American was that most of the types of music that are popular here did not originate in China," says Liang, who was born to immigrant parents in Kansas and grew up in New York State.

"When I heard Shanghai jazz, that was the first time I felt that there was music that could speak to both my Chinese and Western backgrounds.

"Then when I started composing music myself, I was searching for music that reflected parts of me. As someone who never felt like I fully fit in with any one demographic, this was a way for me to tell all the stories I had stored up, probably subconsciously in a way that spoke best to me."

Steven Summerstone believes the young people of Beijing are not so different from their counterparts in his native United States.

This Song Saved My Life was one of the most popular songs on the band's latest album Get Your Heart On.

No comments:

Post a Comment